If you want prospective customers (donors, members, et al) to flock to your website, then an old adage from academia applies: Publish or Perish.
Well-written content that describes who you are, what you do, how you provide products and services, and where you operate are “table stakes.” You need them to get in the game, but they don’t help you win. To up the ante, you must think like a publisher and figure out how to create a steady stream of content that will interest your target audience and keep them coming back for more.
- Add an “In The News” section to your Home Page; provide headlines with links to more information.
- Create an “Industry Update” page where you post news briefs, press releases, upcoming events, and links to topical content.
- Start a YouTube channel to record “video blogs”; provide links from your Home Page.
- Provide links to downloadable podcasts.
- Develop useful articles, eBooks, presentations, etc. that you make available on a “Resources” page. [Note: Individual blog posts can be combined into an eBook.]
Part of being a publisher is knowing that you do not have to create all of the content yourself. Ask colleagues to lend their expertise. [You get great content; they get exposure to your clientele.] Or provide links to third party content – e.g., research reports, white papers, blog posts, videos, etc. You’ll establish a reputation for being a “go to” resource when folks have questions or want information.
When you post content regularly (and follow some basic guidelines for search engine optimization), you’ll reap rewards in search results page placement. And that will drive more visitors to your site.
What’s stopping you from becoming you own publisher?