They don’t! They scan. At most, they’re taking in 20-30% of the words you slaved to create.
The following chart predicts the maximum amount of text users read during an average visit to a web page given different word counts.
So how do you make your web pages scannable?
- Keep it short and simple.
- Make your major point(s) early.
- Capture one idea per paragraph.
- Use bulleted lists.
- Highlight keywords to draw attention to important concepts.
- Provide meaningful sub-headings if you need to include a lot of text.